Monday, November 15, 2010

Women On The Verge Of A Nervous Breakdown

This past weekend I had the privilege of seeing WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN on Broadway. I was extremely excited to see this show mainly because Sherie Rene Scott is in it. I am a huge Sherie Rene Scott fan! I love so many of her shows. One of my biggest dreams was so see her perform live. I wasn't disappointed. I'm not going to say that this was the best show that I've ever seen. It just wasn't. I really liked it though. Sherie Rene Scott was amazing! I know that the professional reviews say that she was a bit lost and the show was pretty much crap, but I don't agree. I think the lost feel was the direction that the director chose for the show. Sherie Rene Scott's Pepa is kind of lost for a large portion of the show but that is Pepa is a lost person. I don't think that was the fault of acting I think that is was the direction of the character. I loved listening to her sing. Everytime she opened her mouth I was transfixed. I thought she was great. Also, there were tons of stars in this show. How many times does one get to see on stage, at the same time, the likes of Patti LuPone, Brian Stokes Mitchell and Laura Benanti? These are true stars!! For the most part they were great. Brian Stokes Mitchell has the ability to make a women melt just by saying "blah" which he did. I have to say I melt when he opens his mouth to sing. Laura Benanti was extremely funny. She stole the show in my opinion. What can you really say about Patti LuPone? I mean, she's Patti LuPone! That's all most people need. This show also had Grams in it! Mary Beth Peil aka Grams was so cute. The duet that Sherie Rene Scott and her sang was one of the highlights of the show for me. How could I not be happy to hear her lovely soprano? I was very happy that I got to see this show. I think most people will be happy to see this show as long as they don't go in expecting some profound theatre experience or the next WICKED. It's light and fun and I think worth the money to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment